Sunday, October 2, 2011

Trail Running!

Yesterday, I went on my first trail run. It was amazing! I went to Morris Bridge Park in Tampa, FL (about 45 minutes away from where I live).

Not only was the weather finally amazing (about 71 degrees, as opposed to the usual 90+), but the trails were shaded and cool. I had a feeling I would like trail running better than road running (due to reading all the various blogs (check out Vanessa Runs; it's great!) about trail running and reading descriptions in Born to Run) and it was definitely better.

Instead of running on pavement with a bunch of other runners (as I usually do) I was running with just my SO. There were a few others on the trail (bicyclists) but those were few and far between. I was really out there in nature and loving every minute of it! There is just something about the serenity of the wilderness and the feeling of roots and dirt under your feet that makes you feel like a kid again.

I wore my Vibrams and they were great...except for the one time I accidentally stepped on a sharp and pointy rock (my foot is still a little sore where the rock hit my foot) but all in all, I am injury free and it was a long run (for me). I did about 8 miles in total, but I did not run the whole time. I alternated between walking and running, but 8 miles is still the longest I have ever gone (in regular running shoes or not). I normally force myself to run the entire time I am out...but this time I didn't feel the need to. I stopped for water, stopped to catch my breath, and stopped to take pictures. I did not want to push myself too hard and risking doing TMTS, so I listened to my body and walked when I needed it.*** Took 120 minutes, so it was a great workout (I always wear my Heart Rate Monitor).

Today, my calf muscles are a bit sore, but nothing too bad and definitely not as bad as when I first started wearing the Vibrams. So, there will be no running today (hopefully tomorrow). I don't know how I can go back to road running, as there aren't really any good trails in my immediate vicinity.

***I should also point out that I have worn my Vibrams to theme parks and have worn them for 6-8 hours at a time and, when not wearing Vibrams, I mostly wear Chuck Taylors, so I am definitely working on conditioning my muscles. I would probably not recommend going all crazy and doing 8 miles after a relatively short period of time, though.

Below are some pictures from the run:





Always remember to Run Smiley! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment